Monday, November 12, 2007

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Happy 100th post people!

I was listening to this song the other day when some of the lyrics jumped out at me. I prob. wouldn't have noticed as much if the conversation hadn't been going on about Heaven, afterlife, Christ as the only way, etc... on THIS POST a little ways back.

God Put A Smile Upon My Face--Coldplay



Where do we go nobody knows
I’ve gotta’ say I’m on my way down
God give me style and give me grace
God put a smile upon my face

Where do we go to draw the line
I’ve gotta’ say I’ve wasted all your time, honey honey
Where do I go to fall from grace
God put a smile upon your face,

yeah
Now when you work it out I’m worse than you
Yeah when you work it out I want it too
Now when you work out where to draw the line
Your guess is as good as mine

Where do we go nobody knows
Don’t ever say you’re on your way down,
when God gave you style and gave you grace
And put a smile upon your face, oh yeah

Now when you work it out I’m worse than you
Yeah when you work it out I want it too
Now when you work out where to draw the line
Your guess is as good as mine

It’s as good as mine
It’s as good as mine
It’s as good as mine

Where do we go nobody knows
Don’t ever say you’re on your way down, w
hen God gave you style and gave you grace
And put a smile upon your face
_________________________
An interesting song and an interesting Video. I don't think that eternity is the main theme here, but is def. a possible interpretation. either way some of what has been said echos in this song. I've italicized those lyrics above.

It echoed this idea of God's love and grace. I also chose to highlight the "It's as good as mine repeat," because of two types of usage. we say it in a lot of ways semi-sarcastically with as another way of saying "we just don't know". However, It can also be said with emphasis on the "IS" part: "your guess IS as good as mine (is).

The reality is that NO one knows for certain what happens after this life is over. For Christians, that's where faith plays a huge role. We can't guarantee ANYTHING for anyone after this life, but we can share the HOPE we have. So we can say "your guess is as good as mine" in 2 ways:
1) meaning we really don't know
2) that your understanding and belief is as good as mine is, since we don't really know.

This is not a statement of "universalist belief" as some are trying to call me, but a sincere statement of the reality of life, no one really, truly knows and without a doubt has the EXACT and ONLY answer. Anyone who claims to is fooling not only others, but esp. themselves.

I HOPE that there is a heaven and an afterlife. I BELIEVE there is a heaven and an afterlife. But do I KNOW there is a heaven and an afterlife? Well...that would kind-of render the first two statements pointless wouldn't it.

Another thing that someone said along these lines that has had me thinking. My good friend Trace made a statement the other night in our discussion group about eternity and "living a way of truth and life." He said, "I can't PROMISE anyone eternity, but I can work to promise them a better life now." He wasn't saying that he doesn't believe in eternity (he does), and he wasn't saying we shouldn't spread that part of the "good news". Rather, he was being emphatic about our focus being on what we CAN do above what we Can't do. Even if we try to tell people about Christ, we CAN'T make them want to follow him. We can't make them choose a better way to live! But we can GIVE them a better life by fulfilling our responsibility in this world to others.

Just a thought I wanted to share.
I believe that God put a smile on my face. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment