Thursday, December 13, 2007

"If Less Is More How You Keeping Score?"

An interesting conversation I've been a privilege to be a part of lately is how backwards our society and churches seem to be. It seems that a majority (I know there are exceptions) of people care more about making the rich richer, and ignoring the poor. In most churches that are in the many places I've lived seem to only attract middle class white people. Why is that? Probably because that's the only people they are taking care of. A friend mentioned that in the Baptist church the focus for church leaders, pastors, and deacons is to take care of those within the church body already not going out and helping feed the hungry, help the poor, etc.. I'm not saying pastoral care isn't important... but how can a pastor be an example of how to go out and effect the world and live like Christ, when the MAIN expectation of him/her is to ONLY take care of every little bruise and bump within his/her flock. How can the deacons be that same example that Christ was to us when they are preparing goodies for their deacon families at Christmas (who are all middle to upper-middle class and can afford to by bread) when there are so many people that NEED that bread! A backwards conundrum.

As much as conservative evangelicals create a bubble separate from the emerging reality around them, and claim that society and culture hasn't influenced them, it is simply not true. Our churches in America (esp. the south) are entrenched in the modern consumerist way of thinking. We still haven't learned what Christ came to teach us!

A song from Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam fame) that Really hits home on a lot of this. Sorry, couldn't find a vid. with better pictures, but it's the lyrics that are important! I'll highlight what I like the most, but the WHOLE song is phenomenal. Think about the lyrics!

Society--Eddie Vedder (Into The Wild Soundtrack)



It's a mystery to me
we have a greed
with which we have agreed

You think you have to want
more than you need
until you have it all you won't be free

Society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me

When you want more than you have
you think you need
and when you think more than you want
your thoughts begin to bleed

I think I need to find a bigger place
'cos when you have more than you think
you need more space

society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me
society, crazy *indeed*
I hope you're not lonely without me

there's those thinking more or less less is more
but if less is more how you keeping score?
Means for every point you make
your level drops
kinda like its starting from the top
you can't do that...

society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me
society, crazy *indeed*
I hope you're not lonely without me
_________________________________

Take the highlighted text above and add it to these thoughts:

"Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last." -- Luke 13:30

"Looking at his disciples, he said:
"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. --Luke 6:20-22

Along with this in the same section:

"But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets." --Luke 6:24-26

"For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." --Matthew 11:30

"The yoke of Jesus is not burdensome, not heavy, but sometimes it is hard!" --Rob Bell
__________________________________



Art By Jon Birch @ ASBO

No comments:

Post a Comment