Wednesday, October 17, 2007

PostSecret and my Postmodernity

"there are 2 Kinds of secrets: those we keep from others, and those we keep from ourselves."
--Frank Warren (editor of PostSecret Books)







My 2 fav. cards represented: "I Believe I will change the world one day (and I'll do it too)"
and ending with "I Hope"

Isn't this what my faith is supposed to be all about? Helping those in need? To give them hope? Why is it that I feel that the faith that I was indoctrinated with, that I inherited no longer has this objective?


MY POST SECRET:



PostSecrets sent in by others that resonate with me in my spiritual pilgrimage:




My Cookie-cutter Inherited faith, and the discipleship that most American Christians display seems so hollow!


A testimony of the Questions amidst the life that many postmodern people lead (myself included)! A Rediscovery of who God is and What our lives all really mean!



Knowing that it would be a lot easier to go back to the canned spirituality that I had growing up, as a product of my upbringing...even though I was an arrogant A$$ to everyone who was different than me!


Everyone has secrets...some good, some bad; some low level, some very damaging to ourselves and others. As a follower of Christ, I ask myself: "shouldn't there be a place where people could let go of these secrets without fear of being judged? Shouldn't I be a part of that place?" and, "Shouldn't that place be called 'Church?'"


My secret? I'm scared of my career in ministry being over because I lead an authentic spiritual life, and do not want to be forced into the mold of what ministers have been in churches in the modern era! I don't want to pretend I'm perfect, that I have all the answers anymore. I just want to be with people, help them grow, be a minister to their needs, and be a part of their own spiritual journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment