Sunday, January 20, 2008

Masquerade

Today in our creative worship service that I help prepare and lead, our topic was masks and authenticity. You can find more about it in my discussion with Lawrence here, in this recent blog post at the bottom of the discussion section.



One of the things that we did during the service is make a mask that represented the many masks that we wear in our lives. It was a great service that spoke to me still. As the members of the band, Switchfoot mentioned in the video we showed, "Authenticity is hard! It's a constant struggle!"



It inspired a little ditty upon reflection:


Masquerade
I made a mask today.
It Represented:
All the things I wish I was, but will never be.
All the things I think I am, but really aren't.
All the things I tried to be, but have never truly been.
It's all just a fantasy;
A Masquerade!
All I am
All I was
All I can ever be
Is simply me;
What I was created to be!
__________________________________________
Also these lyrics popped into my head during the service:
"Masquerading as a man with a reason,
my charade was the event of the season.
And if I claim to be a wise man,
It surely means that I don't know."
----Kansas Carry On My Wayward Son

No comments:

Post a Comment